Please note that we are in a transition period during June and July as well as preparing issue 25.1!
We are still reading your submissions during the summer, but it may take a little longer to get back to you.
- Take a look at the recent work we’ve published to see if your work is a good fit. You can purchase a digital back issue for $3 or explore our website.
- We do not accept postal submissions. Please submit through Submittable.
- Include a short bio and brief cover letter addressed to the appropriate editor, which can be found on our masthead.
- We accept simultaneous submissions; please notify us in a note on your Submittable submission if your work is taken elsewhere.
- Work must be previously unpublished.
- Please wait three months before submitting again if your work is rejected. If you submit more work before the end of three months–expedited included–we will return your submission unread.
- Our average response time is three months. For expedited submissions, we will respond within 30 days.
- Yemassee asks for first-time North American rights, which revert to authors upon publication.
- We are unable to offer monetary payment at this time. We will provide two contributor copies and promote your work on our social media outlets. Additionally, we feature contributor interviews on the site, host local and AWP readings, and send out Pushcart and Best New Poets nominations.
Rather than limiting submissions to particular forms, subjects, or styles, we welcome any poems that give us reason to pause, poems that shake something loose from the ether and ask us to come closer, press against them with a listening ear. We want poems that leap somewhere strange and take us along. We want lines that strike and flash, that haunt us when we’re alone.
Your submission should contain 3-5 poems combined in a single document with no more than one poem per page.
We want prose that is honest, insightful, bold or funny. We look for fiction that asks questions and attempts to navigate the human experience. Prose stands out when it is engaging, both in tone and pace, and when it uses language in a compelling way. We do pay attention to basics, like grammar and structure. Make sure it’s polished!
We consider stories up to 5,000 words in length, double-spaced and paginated. We’re open to a wide range of styles and aesthetics, both traditional and innovative. If you’re sending in shorter works of fiction (less than 1,000 words), feel free to send along 3-5 pieces in a single document.
Nonfiction is currently closed for submissions.